Friday, July 3, 2009

BREAKING NEWS....THOMAS IS A REPORTER!!!

Well not really. One day this past week I woke up and said to myself I'm going to see what it looks and feel like to be a reporter. On a daily basics I arrive to work and I go out on a story with a reporter and shoot their stories and sometimes I think how they do that? So on Tuesday I went out with my own personal camera gear to the south commons skate park to shoot a news package on the new skate park. I got out of my car and started to shoot b-roll of the skaters doing their tricks and stuff. After that I did a series of stand ups and boy it took 13 takes to get it perfect. Normally when I shoot any of the reporters stand ups it only takes them at least one or three takes to get it right but for me only 12 or 13. Now I know that this stuff isn't easy. So I went to interview one of the skaters in the park. Asking questions during interviews is not hard because I do it everyday when I'm assigned to VO SOTS at the station. Later that evening I went back to the station and during my break I logged all the sound bites, wrote out my script, voiced my track and edited the package on my laptop. Will I ever be a reporter in the near future well...NO! But if the opportunity presents it's self I might revisit that area. The lesson is that reporting is hard but It can be easy too only thing you have to do be yourself and remember the five key words; Who, What, When, Where and How. If you want to see the story look below. Till next time "Chance favors the prepared mind".



This package I shot and edited is my first "one-man-band" package as a news reporter. Basically I just got the itch to do a reporter package on the new skate park in Columbus Georgia. Note: I am not a news reporter I'm a photojournalist (news cameraman), I just wanted to see what it is like to be on the other side of the lens. By the way I wrote the script for this package as well.

No comments: